- Author: William Nagel
- Format: online PDF (print edition available at amazon.com)
- Price: free (print edition $24.30)
In any software development project, many developers contribute changes over a period of time. Using a version control system to track and manage these changes is vital to the continued success of the project. This book introduces you to Subversion, a free, open-source version control system, which is both more powerful and much less complex than its predecessor CVS.
In this practical, hands-on guide, you will learn how to use Subversion and how to effectively merge a version control system within your development process. As a seasoned Subversion user, William Nagel draws on lessons learned through trial and error, providing useful tips for accomplishing tasks that arise in day-to-day software development.
Nagel clearly explains how to expand on the built-in abilities of Subversion, making the system work better for you. He organizes Subversion commands by activity to allow for quick task reference. Using example scripts and configurations, he also includes development approaches that you can customize to fit your own environment.
- An Introduction to Version Control
- An Introduction to Subversion
- Installing Subversion
- Basic Subversion Usage
- Working with a Working Copy
- Using Properties
- Configuring the Client
- Integrating with Other Tools
- Organizing Your Repository
- Administrating the Repository
- The Joy of Automation
- Development Process Policies
- Integrating SVN with the Development Process
- Case Studies in Development Processes
- Command Reference