- Author: Joel Spolsky
- Format: online HTML, (print edition available for purchase at amazon.com)
- Price: free (print edition $19.77)
User interface design is straightforward, easy, and most of all fun. There is no reason to be afraid. It is all about making people happy by providing them with what they expect. The rules are simple, and all you have to do is follow them. This book will explain what those rules are, so you can design user interfaces that work and behave as expected and cause less frustration to the user.
- Controlling Your Environment Makes You Happy
- Figuring Out What They Expected
- Affordances and Metaphors
- Consistency and Other Hobgoblins
- Designing for People Who Have Better Things To Do With Their Lives
- Designing for People Who Have Better Things To Do With Their Lives, Part Two
- Designing for People Who Have Better Things To Do With Their Lives, Part Three
- The Process of Designing a Product
Print edition contains 7 new chapters not found in the online edition.